TUFLOW FV
Toby Devlin

Nodestring segment error

Sometimes in the initialisation of a model you may come across this error:

ERROR:fvdomain_construct:fvinitout:fvout_construct:process_nodestring:Nodestring 1, segment 1 does not correspond to any model face.

This is caused when TUFLOWFV has found a nodestring between two nodes that do not also have a face between them.

If you have created the nodestring within SMS then you may find that you have not held down the shift key while creating your nodestring (will automatically include all the nodes between the two that you click), if you dont do this then sms only includes the first node you clicked, and the second node you clicked in the nodestring.

If you created an external nodestring through TUFLOWFV and you have had this error returned check whether or not you need to have the boundary flag then  try adding more waypoints as a first start, if this fails to work please post here or contact TUFLOWFV support.

Hi Toby

I have this error when I run my model. I created nodestrings in SMS however I have used shift key. The most strange thing is that this happens when I am trying to add some new nodestrings (e.g. nodestring 7,8,9), and then has the error for nodestring 1,exactly the same as you posted here. Do you have any idea about that? Thanks

Hi Xixi, 

Can you please try opening your .2dm in your preferred mesh generator, renumbering the mesh and saving it off. In SMS this can be done via the Nodes>>Renumber option. Whist this should only renumber the node order can you please check that your nodestrings remain in the same order just to be safe.

It’s possible that previous edits to the mesh may have led to some ‘gaps’ between node numbers (for example skipping from node 10 to 14, rather than 10,11,12 ... etc) that in turn has affected the nodestring processing routines. By renumbering, these ‘gaps’ should be removed and the model should initialise correctly. We have put in a fix to better handle meshes that are not renumbered to avoid these types of issues in future and this will come out in the next release of TUFLOW FV. Thanks very much for sending in your query so we could fix it, we are most appreciative.  

Kind regards, Mitch.