The MapInfo and TUFLOW Productivity Utilities (miTools) have been developed specifically to improve the efficiency of setting up and reviewing TUFLOW models, as well as improving the day to day ease of using MapInfo Professional (MI Pro). The suite of utilities enables ‘automation’ of many of the common repetitive tasks, saving valuable time and therefore money. The utilities also enable efficient creation and visualisation of key TUFLOW model inputs/outputs within the MapInfo environment. Other tools provide data checking and quality assurance functionality, thus helping to minimise modelling errors.
The 2012 release of miTools includes many new utilities and enhancements to existing utilities. Key new utilities and enhancements include:
- An updated batch MIF export routine that will identify files that require exporting (ie unsaved edits, no mid/mif or old mid/mif files). In the file selection dialog, these files are presented at the top of the list
- A new utility that converts GIS pipe and/or pit datasets into standard TUFLOW 1d_nwke tables, while retaining all the clients attribute data and converting it into the corresponding TUFLOW columns with user specified conversion formulae.
- A new utility to extract ESTRY format CSV cross-sections from HEC-RAS geometry files. The utility can automatically trim overbank areas and assign Manning's values.
- A new utility to name 1d_nwk(e) elements based on chainage, sequential numbers, intersecting cross-section and/or pit names, etc.
- An updated MapInfo DAT_to_DAT utility to allow users to select any number of files when using the -max and -con options (previously the limit was 10).
- An updated MapInfo TUFLOW_to_GIS utility to provide compatibility for XMDF files. New options for selecting time when processing DAT files ensures the selected time exists in the file. The user can also select a number of types of results (e.g. depth, height and hazard) to process at the same time.
For release notes, software downloads and brochure click here
A selection of the above tools are illustrated below.
Run TUFLOW from within MapInfo Dialog
Sample long-section plot
Plot TUFLOW CSV format cross-sections within MapInfo. Include TUFLOW water level results if required.
Group similar files in the layer control, and switch on and off selected layer types using the “TUFLOW_Map_Filter” Utility
Automatically generated TUFLOW Water Level Lines (WLL) using the "TUFLOW_WLL_Tool" Utility
TUFLOW_to_GIS Dialog within MapInfo
TUFLOW Time-Series results graphed within MapInfo using "TS_Graph" utility
TUFLOW Cross-Section Viewer, Editor and Data Management Tool.
Some of the key miTools features are listed below. A comprehensive feature list and descriptions of the utilities are available from the miTools brochure and user manual.
- MapInfo interfaces for common TUFLOW utilities TUFLOW_to_GIS, ASC_to_ASC and DAT_to_DAT.
- MapInfo interface to run TUFLOW and to create and run TUFLOW batch files.
- Automatically apply predefined MapInfo object styles to TUFLOW layers.
- Enhanced single and batch MIF import and export utilities.
- Automatically create TUFLOW Water Level Lines (WLL) and cross-sections (XS) lines and trim them. Thin and remove overlapping WLL automatically.
- Extract multiple TUFLOW CSV format cross-sections from a Vertical Mapper DEM, and automatically assign roughnesses from a materials or Manning’s table.
- CSV Cross-section viewer and editor with inbuilt version and edit tracking.
- Automatically draw, attribute and snap TUFLOW CN Lines.
- Automatically trim WLL and cross-section lines to null code polygons if required.
- Batch split a polyline, such as a river centreline, using a table of cross-sections. The utility is extremely useful for quickly setting up 1d networks where existing cross-section and river centreline/long-section data are available.
- Graph the TUFLOW MID/MIF time-series (TS) results within MapInfo.
- Plot TUFLOW CSV format cross-sections within MapInfo. Include TUFLOW water level results if required.
- Create long-section plots within MapInfo. Plot pipe obvert levels, minimum cover levels and highlight pits where the outlet level is higher than the lowest inlet(s), i.e. a potential error in the data.
- Region/polygon editing tools to speed up snapping, trimming and splitting region objects while also ensuring the resulting objects are truly snapped together.
- 'Increment' the selected TUFLOW layer: The utility assists to ensure TUFLOW MI layers are correctly renamed and setup for editing in an efficient manner.
- Filter TUFLOW layers: a utility to assist in dealing with large and complicated TUFLOW models, as well as loading and filtering run workspace files.
- Quickly turn off the borders of thematically mapped grid cells.