Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) for TUFLOW offer an alternative to using a GIS for TUFLOW modelling, or are used as a powerful addition to using GIS. A GUI offers the major advantage developing and viewing TUFLOW models completely within the one piece of software. There is no requirement to use text files, spreadsheets or a GIS. The GUIs still produce the text, spreadsheet and GIS files behind the scene, so if you are familiar with GIS approach you can open and view these files to extend your modelling experience.
The Surface-water Modeling System (SMS) offers a complete Graphical User Interface (GUI) for the TUFLOW, TUFLOW-AD, and TUFLOW-FV engines. This is an excellent option for those who prefer one overall interface to build a model from start to finish instead of using GIS and manually creating text input files. SMS is designed to provide easy assimilation with GIS by supporting TUFLOW projects that include externally created commands and GIS layers.
Highlights of the SMS TUFLOW Interface include features to:
- Create 2D domains from bathymetry data
- Extract 1D cross-section domains from TIN data
- Define 1D pipe domains including links to the surface
- Import data from ArcGIS or MapInfo GIS formats
- Define boundary conditions at 1D nodes, 2D lines, or 2D polygons
- Create 2D geometry modifications to model objects such as levees
- Set material properties such as Manning n values and hydrologic losses
- Share common data across multiple simulations to prevent data duplication errors and make it easy to update a project with new data
- Work with multiple 2D domains
- Import TUFLOW projects created outside of SMS and support most commonly used commands
- Export native TUFLOW input files (command files, .csv files, and GIS files) for use with external utilities
- Use hydrodynamic solution data as input for other model applications such as particle tracking
- Seamlessly integrate TUFLOW models with TUFLOW-AD for advection-dispersion water quality modeling
SMS also offers an economical visualisation-only module for those who wish to use GIS for the model development and use SMS as a post-processor to view results, create animations, and print output.
SMS is developed and maintained by Aquaveo, which provides tutorials, custom training options, and technical support for SMS users.
waterRIDE FLOOD Manager provides a unique, highly visual environment in which to integrate full time-varying hydraulic model results with GIS.
Much more than a “post processor”, waterRIDE FLOOD Manager is a dedicated floodplain management tool. It allows you to integrate your TUFLOW model results with GIS datasets to help determine and communicate “what the flooding means”.
Developed by floodplain modellers and managers practicing in the industry, it readily becomes evident that this is a tool built to streamline processes and overcome the limitations imposed by conventional GIS on analysing and using dynamic flood model results.
Some of the key features of waterRIDE include:
- Rapid interrogation tools (spot polling, time series, profile, and flow plots/tables/charts/exports)
- Easy comparison between model runs
- Interactive animations: pause, step forward/backward, interrogate the surface, then resume animation of any hydraulic parameter
- Automatic flood hazard mapping with customisable flood hazard categories
- Mapping results to finer scale DEM’s (including tools for automated stretching to determine the actual flood extent)
- Exporting to GIS (including batch exporting flood extents with smoothing, simplifying, and removal of puddles/islands)
- Time based analysis: user defined time based queries such as “time to inundation”, “duration of inundation”, “duration of VxD > 1.5”, etc
- Flood damages calculations: including Average Annual Damage (AAD) and Net Present Value (NPV) analysis
- Flood Planning Area determination (eg 100yr + 0.5m freeboard with automatic stretching)
- GIS Integration: integrate and calculate GIS-based flood intelligence: depth over floor, time to evacuation route closure, critical infrastructure affectation etc.
- Specialised utilities: peak of peaks, dynamic mapping, difference mapping, stretching and surface interpolation,
- Rapid preparation of report figures
- Ideal for presentations: all data is at your fingertips, and readily demonstrable to non-technical stakeholders
XP Software has incorporated the TUFLOW engine into their user-friendly graphical interfaces of XPSWMM and XPStorm to enable users to seamlessly link the 1D capabilities of XPSWMM and XPStorm with the 2D capabilities of TUFLOW. These graphical interfaces handle all preprocessing of input data, launching and monitoring model calculations, and graphical post-processing of modeling results.
XPSWMM or XPStorm with TUFLOW provides an integrated 1D/2D model that analyzes the whole of a drainage area – hydrology, hydraulics, channel flow, pipe flow, pumped flow, and overland flow. A powerful feature of XP Software packages is the ability to dynamically link any 1D (quasi-2D) model in an fully integrated fashion. The user sets up the model as a combination of 1D network domains linked to 2D domains as single model. It provides an incredibly accurate tool to predict the extent, depth, velocity and duration of flooding to evaluate flood mitigation technologies and management practices.
All of XPSWMM’s and XPStorm’s familiar tools for generating tables, graphs, maps and animations are available for reviewing, analyzing and presenting model results. New 2D and 3D animation tools make it easy to present results to managers and decision makers.
Click here to go to the XP2D webpage.
XP2D is available as an add-on to any license of XPSWMM or XPStorm v.10 or up. Contact XP-Software at www.xpsoftware.com.
Flood Modeller Pro
Flood Modeller Pro provides a user-friendly graphical interface to enable the development, running and analysis of flood models. The 1D solver within the software incorporates a runtime link to TUFLOW enabling the construction of 1D-2D linked models to simulate the interaction between river and floodplain flows.
Flood Modeller Pro provides tools to define the GIS components of a TUFLOW model either by manipulating existing GIS data or using the built in GIS functionality to “draw” new elements onto a map.
Integrated 1D Flood Modeller-2D TUFLOW, as well as TUFLOW only models can be run from within the Flood Modeller interface. The model outputs can be visualised within the interface in a variety of ways:
- Results can be post-processed to create flood maps, visualised in the map view or output to a variety of formats including Google Earth
- Flood data can be animated on screen and sequences recorded as movie files together with background mapping.
- Post-processing tools enable the calculation of hazard maps and flood damage data from model results
- Data interrogation tools enable time series and cross sections to be generated from TUFLOW results at any user defined location
Furthermore Flood Modeller data management tools enable modellers to store all of their model data within an organised project structure. This provides a clear record of the development of a model and the associated results.
For further information, visit the Flood Modeller Pro website.